Friday, December 30, 2005

Swimming World Says Goodbye to Coach Chris Givens

On December 23rd my friend and mentor, Chris Givens was admitted to a Portland area hospital where they discovered a tear in the tissue surrounding his aorta. He died the next day of an Aortic Aneurism.

Coach Chris, as we all called him, was one the finest people I ever met. He taught me a tremendous amount about coaching and life. He had a degree in child psychology so I was able to learn a tremendous amount about kids as people and relate that to my coaching.

Coach Chris coached a tremendous number of excellent swimmers over the course of his career but the one thing he will be remembered for by them all was that he cared deeply for all of them.

Coach Chris Givens will be missed terribly by all who knew him. My thoughts go out to his wife Celeste and his daughters Belle and Kiana.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that what is posted is wrong - Coach Chris died on December 26, 3 days after he was taken in to the hospital. It would have been more heartbreaking on Christmas Eve, as that was Kyana's birthday, so I am thankful for those extra two days he lived, even if he was in a coma for part of it. Coach Chris...he was amazing. He was my coach for almost a year and 3 months, the amount of time he spent at my club, and he turned me in to a breakstroker and helped me in all my strokes. He was also the coach that you wanted to have as a friend, and he was open to anyone. I am deeply saddened by the loss, and I hope that no one whom he got to know will ever forget him, for he was literally the nicest man you will ever meet.

Shellie Morris-
14 years old
Tualatin Hills Swim Club
swimmershellie@hotmail.com

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home